Thursday, November 26, 2020

A time for reflection

Having to make a blog post each week makes you realize how quickly life can change. On Sunday, my dad, daughter, and son made their way home from California. My mother-in-law had made pork adobo so I decided to save the chicken Alfredo for Monday.  This past week has been extremely challenging because my baby had decided she wants no one but me to put her to sleep every night, and leaving her side was pretty much impossible. On top of that, there was a slight family emergency on Wednesday. My brother-in-law was in extreme pain and feeling very ill. After being taken to the ER, he was admitted and was told he will be needing surgery. Unfortunately for him, his Thanksgiving was spent at the hospital. We hope that he will be home tomorrow so that he can begin the recovery from the comfort of home. Despite all the craziness going on this week, I still have plenty to be thankful for: My wonderful children, husband, and all of my family near and far. A job, roof over my head, and food to eat.

Now for the Chicken Alfredo:

  • Appx 1.5 lbs of chicken thighs
  • 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Mushrooms, spinach, red chili pepper flakes (all optional)
  • Fresh basil (about 1 tablespoon)
When I first started making this, I would also add mushrooms and on occasion spinach, but my husband is not a fan of mushrooms so that has been cut out of this recipe. Anyway, start with cutting the chicken into little cubes, about 1inch pieces. If adding mushrooms, slice those as well. Start cooking chicken with olive oil. While the chicken is cooking, I mince the garlic and add that to the chicken when it is about done cooking so as not to burn the garlic (this is also the time to add mushrooms.) Once it is all cooked, I add the heavy whipping cream and bring it to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low once it starts bubbling and add the cheese. I don't have measurements because I am at the point of eyeballing it, but really it depends on the desired thickness of the sauce too. The more cheese you add, the thicker it will be. After the cheese is all melted and the sauce is thickened, add the basil and spinach. Sauce is done, and now just top over pasta or mix with penne pasta. 


This is my preferred cheese that I get from Costco.


I forgot to get penne pasta, so spiral noodles it is!


8 comments:

  1. A regular activity such as writing a blog post help shine a light on the weekly happenings in our lives :-)

    I hope your brother-in-law a speedy recovery.

    Yes, there are many things to be thankful for during this time of pandemic; thank you for the Chicken Alfredo recipe ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Alfredo recipe sounds and looks delicious! I will definitely be trying it. Pasta is one of my favorite foods, so it'll be exciting to try someone else's variation of Chicken Alfredo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to add this chicken alfredo to my list of things to make from recipes I learned from my classmates. I hope your brother in law is doing well and despite everything I hope you and your family had a nice thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your brother-in-law recovers and can enjoy the rest of the holidays with your family. I'm a huge fan of Costco, so when I saw that parmesan, you sold me. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your brother-in-law has a full recovery soon. Thank you for the recipe of Chicken Alfredo I will try it next time. I always buy the one from a jar because I don't know how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully your bother-in-law gets better as soon as possible. Costco was one of my favorite stores, mostly because of the free samples haha. The chicken alfredo looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been able to resist any Alfredo sauce recipe, I also will be tasting your recipe and thank you. Glad to hear your family is well and hopefully Thanksgiving was wonderful also. Hope your brother-in-law recovered well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your brother-in-law gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete